sábado, novembro 17, 2018

My.. mine.. hers

Looking at this freaking huge, empty house is scary. Not scary like "Scary Movie" - I haven't got a dumb serial killer after me hiding behind the curtains - but like drama scary.

A physical emptiness can, may, and most definitively, will have repercussions in one's state of mind. One starts feeling "saudades".
That means that we start missing "when", "where", "why" or even "who", and this is me trying to come back to grammar.

But this time I began thinking about demonstratives. I was thinking about "My" ex-, and realised that these small possessive adjectives are quite difficult to teach. We do not have "adjectivos possessivos" and they always come before nouns. And they give a possessive characteristic to someone or something. But it's still always strange. Was he/she/it ever our possession?
So I jumped to thinking he/she/it was "Mine". Now, here, in this case, we do have possessive pronouns. And we can move them along inside the sentence. But in English they are used to show that something belongs to someone. So the "mother is mine", because they always follow the verb.

And she left because of that.. She was a "personal subject".. She knew she was no one's belongings. She was no object and I wasn't hers.

Sem comentários: